Sunday 26 February 2012

26th February - Race reviews

I may be a little bias, but I thought that both of today’s tips ran quite well – considering neither was placed, nor ever really looked that likely to win…!

Pockets Aces was given a strange ride, in so much as he was never put in the race.
He travelled sweetly, in rear, jumping economically.
However, the leaders just seemed to get away from him and he couldn’t peg them back when he was finally asked for an effort.
If it was his first run of the season, I’d feel sure he would come on for it and I’d want to be on him next time. However, as we know only too well, it was his fourth run of the season...!
Despite this, I can’t help but feel he will win a race very soon – probably when the money is down. I’m sure the ability remains and he seems to be demonstrating a level of soundness.
I guess his next run may well be after I’ve finished tipping for the season, but if that is the case, don’t forget him !!

Fiveways also ran a fair race to finish sixth.
He travelled just behind the leaders and although he seemed to keep on coming on and off the bridle, he still looked to have a fair chance turning into the home straight.
However, he was beaten soon after that and could only plod on at the one pace…
Maybe he needs dropping back a little in trip – or maybe he needs a few pounds off his rating.
Either way, whilst I wouldn’t completely dismiss him next time out, I wouldn’t be clambering to back him !

One final footnote:
It was hugely disappointing to see this morning, that Minsk has been ruled out of the Cheltenham festival…
I guess these things happen when you are betting ante-post, but for it to happen the day after I’d tipped him, was particularly galling.
With hindsight, maybe I should have waited 24 hours to make sure everything was OK. However, I did feel there had been an over-reaction to his performance yesterday and I was half expecting a correction today.
Anyway, what is done, is done. I’m just glad I opted to only have 1 point on him !



No comments:

Post a Comment