Sunday 26 February 2012

Cheltenham Special - A Proposal

As you are doubtless all aware (because I keep banging on about it !), I’ve been really short of time for the past few months…
Part of my frustration with the situation, is because it wasn’t suppose to happen. I was supposed to have the winter months ‘free’, so that I could focus on the racing – but it just hasn’t worked out that way.
The main reason for this, is because I’ve been working on my bathroom during the winter months. I was meant to get it my bathroom done last summer but I ran out of time.
To compensate for that, I figured I could start work on it in September and just keep it ticking over during the winter months. The trouble with that idea, is that I only have around 10 free hours a week, so things tick over very slowly ! Plus, due to poor light and cold temperatures, 10 winter month hours are worth about 5 summer month hours…

This is all very interesting, you might be thinking – but why I am telling you..?

Well, the reason I’m telling you, is because this week, after a huge push, I’ve finally managed to get my bathroom into a state where it can be re-plastered (I’ve been back to bricks, joists and a lot of holes, for the past 3 months) – and the plasterers are coming in tomorrow.
Once the plasterers have finished their work (Tuesday evening), I will be able to have a little rest – and switch my attention back onto the racing for a couple of weeks.

Ofcourse, this is perfect timing for Cheltenham, so I’m about to re-absorb myself in the racing 2 weeks before the most important 4 days of the year.
Consequently, I’ve been thinking about how I should handle the tipping for Cheltenham.

My original plan was just to deal with each of the Cheltenham days, in the same way that I’ve dealt with all of the big race days during the past 4 months: so 2/3 tips and a write up.
However, now that I should have a bit more time available, I am now wondering whether I should maybe go a bit further…

I’m considering producing a ‘Cheltenham special’.
This would involve me producing a more detailed preview, covering all of the races on each of the 4 days.
My intention would be to issue this preview the evening before (probably late evening), though I would issue the tips in advance of this (as I do now).

Obviously it would take me a serious amount of time and effort on my behalf to do this (I’d have to work flat out on it for most of the evening), but I would be prepared to do that for the 4 evenings…

However, if I was to do it, I would make a small charge.
I’m thinking of £10 for the 4 days (so comparable with buying the Racing Post for the 4 days).
What I want to know, is how many of you would be prepared to pay £10 for a daily preview on each of the 4 days (along with tips, issued earlier).
I have created a poll opposite, to establish demand and would be grateful if anyone who would be prepared to pay, would indicate the fact using the poll.
I’ve got a number in my head, which I would consider would make it worth my while to put in the extra effort. If that number is reached, I’ll go with the ‘Special’: if it isn’t, I’ll stick with the standard blog postings – it’s up to you !!

I also think that this will give me a feel for whether it would be worth me trying to ramp things up a little next winter. I mentioned a month or so ago, about the prospect of me creating a low cost subscription service next winter. A Cheltenham Special, should I reckon, give me a feel for how many people might be interested in such a service.

Anyway, that’s my suggestion – and I’ll leave it to you all to decide if it is worthwhile.
I’ll keep the poll open until next Sunday evening and then make the decision on which way I go.
I don’t want people to feel under any pressure to go for the proposal – I’m easy either way.
If the decision is to produce the Special, I will post details on how it will work (payment details and when I will produce/issue) next Sunday evening.

TVB.   

8 comments:

  1. Weird day today if you ask me, both ran far better than their price suggested. Pocket Aces was never asked the question in my opinion, the jockey never really got serious on him. As for Fiveways he looked like he was going the best of all turning into the bend, however he just didnt find enough in the end. Both will be worth a watching next time out!
    Cant wait for Cheltenham Andy, moreso if you do decide to do the detailed paid writeups. As you may have guessed you have my vote!
    You could easily charge for your knowledge/advise. There are services out there that just provide information/stats (no selections or staking plan) that charge over £75 a month!!!
    Not that i dont like your free service at the minute LOL but everyone needs paid for their time.

    Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Ciaran.

    If I do decide to go down a subscription route, I might be asking you to do the marketing for me – LOL !!

    Ultimately, it all comes down to time. I’m happy to put in a few spare hours, blogging when I can – but if people want a ‘proper’ service, then there will be an impact on my life and so it seems reasonable to make a charge to cover this…
    Producing a Cheltenham special will allow me to give it a try in a contained manner – and it will also enable me to gauge the true level of interest in the output that I produce (only people who are really interested will be prepared to pay – even if it is just a small charge)
    Of course, even with a proper service, there can be no guarantee of results – and that will be true for the Cheltenham special. However, I can guarantee that all writes up will be to a high quality – and any tips will be well thought out.
    We will still need a slice of luck of course – but it always helps if things have been edged slightly in your favour…
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew, I would have no problem paying 10 for your Cheltenham reviews. crikey I'd pay 10 per day. Of cause no winners would warrent a refund. (joking).

    Peter N Wales

    ReplyDelete
  4. £10 a day hey Peter: now you've got me thinking - LOL !

    It's really just a token amount, but it will ensure that anyone who gets the preview, is actually valuing it.
    Guaranteeing to make a profit over 4 days (and 4 frighteningly competitive days) is not possible. However, provided people stake sensibly, I'll be surprised if I do too much damage - and hopefully it will make the festival that much more enjoyable for anyone who does choose to sign up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in as well, only just seen this now and think tis a great idea. Peter might be right though, maybe a tenner a day isn't a bad idea. In fairness I would think that most lads following the tips will be backing them with more than a tenner and maybe backing more than one horse in a race so a tenner would be fair.... IMO at least.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tenner for the 4 days will be absolutely fine.
    I can justify that it my own mind (by a comparison with the price of the Racing Post) and as a consequence, I won't feel under too much pressure.
    I would like to think that anyone who wants to read my thoughts, can do. As I said before, a tenner is really just a token amount to demonstrate a genuine interest.
    If there are sufficient people interested (and the suggestion is that there are), then I will produce the previews...
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best for your Cheltenham Special.
    I've written my own which I sent out to donator's to the blog on 15th Feb. Perhaps we can compare notes when the Festival is over?
    Ian @ Wayward Lad
    http://waywardlad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ian,
    I would be happy to compare notes before beforehand - as that is likely to be of more value !
    The only thing is, I'll be issuing early the night before - so if it is my (limited) early thoughts you want, you'll need to check out the ante-post section of the blog.
    I'll add you to my distribution list, if you provide me with an email address.
    A.

    ReplyDelete