Monday 5 March 2012

6th March - Update

The third day on the trot with no tips and I’m sure a few of you are worrying that I’m maybe suffering from pre-Cheltenham nerves !!

In reality, there are 3 reasons for the lack of tips over the past few days:
Firstly (and foremost), the racing hasn’t really lent itself to tipping. There have been a few half decent races, but nothing I’ve really fancied grabbing hold of ;
Secondly, it seems to be getting harder to find the early ‘value’. The bookmakers are pricing up races, one at a time, with sizeable gaps between, and are incredibly sensitive to even the slightest support for a horse. I wanted to tip Phidippides today (he was ultimately a NR, so it was immaterial) but his price had been cut twice by B365, before 4 bookmakers had priced up the race. There would therefore be a danger, that if I had tipped him, the majority of you would have ended up taking well below the odds.
And thirdly; the presences of Cheltenham on the horizon, is proving a major distraction to me. I’m spending more and more time, watching replays of last season’s festival – and keys races from this season. It is not that easy to switch from the rarefied atmosphere of the festival to the relative dross served up at Hereford on a Monday afternoon (no disrespect intended to Hereford there !) 

I did actually toy with the idea of pulling the plug on the tipping following last Saturday afternoon. However, I figured that as there was a chance that something I wanted to tip might be running this week, I may as well just let things tick over and see what happened.
If something I really fancy, runs this week, then I’ll tip it – if that doesn’t happen , then we may get to the end of the week with no further tips…

Talking of Cheltenham, the ‘Special’ has already received a really good response.
I believe that I have replied, thanking everyone who has already subscribed (I’m not sure that all bank transfers come through instantly, so don’t worry if you’ve sent me a payment and not heard just yet).
I will send out an email on Sunday to everyone whom I’ve received a payment from  (I may even include the odd tip or two, as the 4 day decs will be through by then for most of the days) so if you don’t hear anything then and you believe you have subscribed, please shout !!

On the Cheltenham front, our ante-post selections received another body blow this evening, with the news that Peddlers Cross will be running in the Jewson novice chase rather than the Arkle…
I know that it is a risk with ante-post betting but this particular move doesn’t sit to comfortably with me.
Peddlers Cross has been targeted at the Arkle all season. Every interview with his trainer, Donald McCain, has confirmed this to be the case. Yet now, connections are running scared of Sprinter Sacre (and that is all that it is).
I could accept if the horse wasn’t ready for Cheltenham because of an injury – but to decline taking on a horse who still has a lot to prove, I find very disappointing.
In a way, this is a consequence of the 4 day festival. 5 years ago, there would have been no alternative race and Peddlers Cross would either have had to take on Sprinter Sacre – or bypass the festival. The fourth day – and the new races needed to fill it – has effectively diluted the Cheltenham experience. All of the contenders no longer have to take on each other to establish the best – it is possible to duck and dive, if that is your want…
Anyway, I’m a big fan of Peddlers Cross and I hope he does himself justice in the Jewson. I also hope that his connections get what they deserve for taking this path – and unfortunately, those 2 wishes are mutually exclusive!
With regard to the Arkle, then at least we still have the saver on Al Ferof – and I remain unconvinced that Spinter Sacre is home and horsed just yet !!

Finally, one of my readers sent me a link to the daily mail site, which is offering 2 for 1 entry to certain race meetings, this year.
I’m unlikely to be able to take advantage of it myself, but I said I would post it on the blog in case it was of use to any of my other readers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/prmts/article-1344999/The-Daily-Mail-offer-2012.html



No comments:

Post a Comment