Saturday 14 January 2012

14th January - Selection rationale (part 2)

I’ve been monitoring 2 horses this morning with a view to a fourth or even fifth tip.
One of them was Handy Andy, who has become a tip; whilst the other is Moleskin, whom I’ve decided to pass on.
The issue with Moleskin, is simply the price. I thought 8/1 tight enough in what looks a competitive race.
I hoped that 10/1 might become available this morning but it hasn’t materialised.
I wouldn’t put anyone off backing him – and I think he has a good EW chance – but odds are everything for me and I don’t see the requisite 20%+ margin in a quote of 8/1…

Warwick 2:30

Handy Andy is a much riskier selection - but he is available at almost double the price !!
I really think he is a win or bust selection and I’m obviously hoping it is the former.
The case for him rests almost solely on his debut victory under rules at Newbury last March.
He beat the David Pipe trained Our Father that day and looked a horse of some potential, in doing so.
However, he has only run twice since then and disappointed on both occasions. Firstly over hurdles at Aintree and then on his chasing debut at Wincanton in November.
It clearly requires something of a leap of faith to hope that he bounces back to the form he showed at Newbury. However, if he does manage to achieve that, then he should go very close today.
Our Father is now rated 147, after demolishing a decent field at Ascot on his return. Despite proving his superior at Newbury, Handy Andy gets to run off a mark of 127 today. If that form line is not mis-leading, you can see what a good chance Handy Andy should have today.

0.5pt win Handy Andy 14/1

No comments:

Post a Comment