Saturday 28 January 2012

28th January - Race reviews

I should have known it was going to be one of those days, after the very first race of the afternoon…
That was the 4 year old hurdle from Cheltenham. I didn’t have a strong view on the race, but backed Pearl Swan, in-running on Betfair, just after half way, when he was in last place.
I got 40 IR, which was quite good – though if I’d waited a few more seconds, 240 was matched !
Anyway, the horse came through under a patient Ruby Walsh ride and jumped to the front at the final hurdle. He had to battle his way up the hill – but just held on in a very tight finish.
This is an extremely unusual situation for me, as my horses invariably get beaten in photo finishes (when they win, they win by half the length of the straight !).
I looked to lay off in the photo finish, to ensure a profit (as I always do) – but the market remained suspended. I checked my Betfair balance and the win had been credited to my account, so assumed it wasn’t as close as I had thought and I moved on…

It was only after Bless the Wings had beaten Lexicon Lad in the second race, that I became aware that Pearl Swan had been disqualified !
I didn’t even think it a possibility – but when they said on RUK that Alan King had competed a double – and this time didn’t need the intervention of the stewards, I figured out my fate..!

Anyway, these things happen (it’s a good job that I’m a resilient character !).

With regard to Lexicon Lad, then he ran a fine race to finish second – he was just beaten by a better horse on the day.
Roalco De Farge also ran really well to finish a close up sixth. His jumping wasn’t overly slick and he got hampered by a faller, so I think he can be marked up on this performance. I’m not sure why Richard Johnson didn’t ride him more prominently, as he was successful under those tactics at Newbury – but mine is not to reason why…

In the handicap chase at 2:05, The Giant Bolster took the field apart with a great round of front running and jumping.
Hells Bay was just about the only horse to keep tabs on him for most of the race, but he made a mistake at the fourth last and was soon back pedalling.
In fact, the speed of his demise, which was similar to last time, made me think that he might be another horse with a breathing issue. I’ll be keeping a close eye on him…

In the Sky bet chase, Carrickmines was allowed to stride on, but was far too free. I know he has made the running in the past, but he has been restrained on every other outing this season. With a strong pace almost guaranteed, I don’t know why he wasn’t settled in the rear again – but like I said, mine is not to reason why..!
Shalimar Fromentro ran a decent enough race but ultimately simply wasn’t good enough. He looked like he might need to drop a few pounds in the handicap.
As for the winner, Calgary Bay, then what can I say !!
As I mentioned when he won on New Years day, he was my ‘cliff’ horse last season – but I have deserted him this. That clearly has made the world of difference to him and he is now fulfilling the potential that I always knew he had ! I suspect this horse really could be a world beater – provided I never back him again. Connections know where to find me if they want to make an offer I can’t refuse ;)

Finally, when I had just about given up hope, Module came and saved the day.
For a horse making his Britsh debut, he remained remarkably strong in the betting, which I considered a good thing !
That said, he looked beaten as they rounded the home turn – but then found some serious stamina reserves and shot clear after jumping the last.
He is clearly a horse of some ability – and I suspect he would relish a step up in trip.
If he were mine, I would be eyeing the Coral cup at the festival…

Just a couple of footnotes:
The eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed that the final race at Uttoxeter was won in game style, by Sophonie…
I’ve put her up on her last 2 runs, but resisted the temptation today (though I did consider it).
Clearly missing a winner is never a good thing – but it does at least demonstrate what I’ve said before about finding a horse ready to strike.

Then, just to cap off my day, I backed Lady Sinatra in the last at Doncaster. She ran her heart out from the front, only to get nailed in the shadows of the post. The 2 runners came very close in the final furlong and the winner seemed to be edging mine across the course.
But was there a stewards enquiry – never mind a position change ? There certainly was not !
As I’ve said before, if I ever get any luck in this game, I really will be dangerous !!

2 comments:

  1. I see Knockara Beau placed third in the Argento Chase Andy. Did you not tip it previously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tipped a lot of horses now Ciaran - LOL !
    But yes, I did, when it was second to Shakalakaboomboom (and should have won !).
    Time for Rupert was disappointing today and I can't help feel there must be an angle into the Gold Cup.
    Long Run is not rock solid - and Kauto is surely beyond his peak.
    The trouble is, there are few other credible contenders...
    That's part of the reason why I'm hoping connections of Grands Crus will elect to go for GOld !!

    ReplyDelete