Tuesday 17 January 2012

18th January - Selection rationale

There are a couple of fair NH meetings tomorrow – considering it is a Wednesday !
The Newbury card, in particular, looks interesting – though betting opportunities are limited due to the nature of the races.
The hunter chase, that ends the card, looks a particularly strong affair. I reckon Turko could go well – and you might even get a bit of a price about him…!

However, for the tip, I’m sticking to the more conventional route of a handicap chase. My selection is no certainty (!) – but I am optimistic that it will outrun it’s rather generous odds…

Newbury 2:35

Rear Gunner only made his seasonal debut just over a fortnight ago, in a handicap chase at Folkestone. His finished sixth that day, but ran a lot better than that placing suggests.
The winner, Only Vintage, won very easily, but Rear Gunner was the only horse who threatened to give him any kind of a race, from the third last onwards.
Ultimately he paid the price for chasing the winner and ended up tired and well beaten. However, I would expect him to come on for that run and if he does, off a 2lb lower mark and over a more suitable trip, I can see him running a big race tomorrow.
I like the fact that Rear Gunner races prominently. In a 17 runner race, it will almost certainly pay to be up front and out of trouble.
That was how he ran when he beat Moleskin and Ray Nacarado, at Kempton last year – and both of those horses have certainly franked that form this season.
One slight concern, is that Rear Gunner has raced almost exclusively right handed. This seems a little bizarre for a 10 year old – but hopefully there is no particular reason for it. He did actually run a cracker at Lingfield as a novice hurdler – and Newbury is a big track, so there shouldn’t really be any issues.
Looking through the race I can see plenty of potential dangers, but it is the top 3 horses: Panjo Bere, Ikorodu Road and Sound Stage that I fear most.
However, if Rear Gunner can find a rhythm, I’m hopeful that he will be difficult to pass - and if he is passed, I’m hoping it is by no more than 3 other horses ;)

0.5pt EW Rear Gunner 20/1

No comments:

Post a Comment