Sunday 8 January 2012

9th January - Selection rationale

I almost had to do a double take when I looked at tomorrow’s card at Taunton…
For a Monday in the depths of January, it is a very decent card.
In particular, the novice chase that will be run at 2:10, wouldn’t look out of place on a Saturday afternoon at one of the grade 1 courses.
Fair play to Taunton for putting it on – if they can, hopefully others will be able to follow suit…

Maybe not surprisingly, my first tip of the day is on the aforementioned novice chase…

Taunton 2:10
This is a cracking little race and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if any of the 6 runners were to win.
It has a nice shape because there are 2 ‘sexy’ runners, in the form of Rangitoto and Master Fiddle. Either one could well be up to wining this – but both have yet to prove it on the racecourse and are priced plenty short enough, with both around the 2/1 mark…
Balzaccio and Time for Spring both look relatively exposed (and I mean relatively in the context of this race !), whilst you would have to be a little concerned about the jumping ability of Made in Time. That leaves us with the selection, Vino Griego…
He is a horse of enormous ability – and it looked last time as if he was finally going to come good over fences.
That was in a grade 1 chase at Ascot. He absolutely tanked through the race and looked sure to win when taking up the running 3 fences from home. However, he made a complete horlicks of the second last and was collared by The Minack.
In truth, there was no shame in that defeat – even though Vino Griego should have won – and the handicapper has been very generous in leaving him on the same mark.
There is no doubt that Vino Griego sets the form standard in this race – but I have to acknowledge that either of the 2 favourites have the potential to surpass that standard.
However, when you are talking about potential against proven form, and odds of 2/1 against odds of 6/1, there really can only ever be 1 value call ;)

1pt win Vino Greigo 13/2


Taunton 3:40
Close followers of the blog will doubtless be a little surprised to see me tipping Solitary Palm again tomorrow…
I tipped him the last time he ran and he ran no kind of race whatsoever. I said afterwards that it would be difficult to tip him again - and it was, but I have…!
In truth, I acknowledge that it is a decision I may live to regret – however, at 16/1 in an easier race, off a 2lb lower mark, I decided to chance my arm !
The main factor in me giving him a second chance, is the removal of the tongue tie that he wore last time out.
As I said, he ran no sort of race last time and I have a suspicion that the tongue tie was inconveniencing him rather than helping him.
I’m not really sure why it was applied last time: he had run a couple of cracking races on his 2 previous outings and if he can return to that level of form tomorrow, he looks sure to go close…
I am slightly troubled by the fact that Venetia Williams has an interesting looking unexposed sort in the race. He could easily be too good for his rivals. However, I can’t see too many more likely sorts, so provided Solitary Palm runs his race this time, I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t go close.

0.5pt EW Solitary Palm 16/1

5 comments:

  1. Ive already backed Solitary Palm based on my own opinion at 16-1
    Must say you have increased my hopes
    Fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just plugged you on Geeks Tpy forum (http://www.geekstoy.com/forum/). Hope you get a few hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of interest draquay, did you back it because I tipped it last time out (and you followed it then) - or did you back it for other reasons..?

    Cheers average guy. Hopefully it will bring in a few new readers - different perspectives are always welcome.
    I do miss Marvin tho :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest I forgot you tipped it before,I liked its run at Taunton three runs ago which would give him every chance today, but main reason was in a race full of unreliable temperamental horses 16-1 looked way to big to me,as you say only one horse of potential improvement ,Grey Wulff,take him out and Solitary looks to have as good a chance as any

    ReplyDelete
  5. The run behind Mr Chow looked strong at the time - and looks even better now.
    His subsequent run behind Valley view was also very decent. He looked the winner turning for home and was done no favours by a lose horse.
    However, his last run was shocking. I'm pinning my hopes on the fact that it was so bad, something must have been amiss.
    If the removal of the tongue tie sees him bounce back to form, then he must go very close today.
    In that scenario, as you say, 16/1 is way too big...
    Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete