Friday 20 January 2012

20th January - Race review

Horse: Mark the Book
Price advised: 8/1
ISP: 11/2
BSP: 7.2
Finishing positon: 1st


I have to admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Chepstow, as a racecourse…
Some of my best picks – and wins – have come at the venue. Maybe it’s because I can identify the type of horse that tends to do best there: real solid, unspectacular sloggers !!
Whatever the reason, Chepstow came good for me again today and got the show nicely back on the road, courtesy of Mark the Book.

He was absolutely hammered in the betting last night – which I took as a good sign. However, I don’t think the night before matters as much as the few minutes before the off – and although I didn’t see the race live (on the school run – again !), I was a little concerned to see an SP of 11/2, when he was 4/1 at lunchtime.
Still, I needn’t have worried. Daryl Jacobs grasped the mettle form the off and proceeded to jump his rivals into the ground.
I was particularly pleased to see how well Mark the Book jumped – it was significantly better than at Haydock and showed that he clearly was a little rusty that day.
Of course the early falls of 2 of his rivals helped matters – but as we know ourselves from earlier this week, the fences are there to be jumped.
In truth, I doubt Mark the Book would have been beaten regardless: Roackabilly was the danger and he was well held from the third last onwards.

Under the right circumstances, I suspect that Mark the Book could follow up (provided the handicapper isn’t overly harsh). I suspect there is more improvement in him from today – and he is a 130+ capable animal.
But for now, I will just content myself with the fact that I’ve got a few more points to play with for the rest of the month :)

9 comments:

  1. Evening Andrew,

    Lovely result today. As you say Mark just jumped them in to them in to submission and yet never really seemed to be under pressure either jumping or travelling in front. All in all a good days work by you and profit by us.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Hannibal Smith used to say, I love it when a plan comes together - and the plan certainly came together this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up and I am sure all the other followers and I could afford to chip in and get you a black van with a red stripe and a cigar to chomp on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps we could get Marvin back to play Mr T...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feck, I had forgot all about Marvin. Seems he is quiet this week, I wonder why.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feck, I had forgot all about Marvin. Seems he is quiet this week, I wonder why.....

    Michael, you do not seem to have noticed that I have been quiet for a long time now.

    During the long losing run I have kepy my counsel, so why should I comment when TVB gets lucky and actually tips a winner!!

    Don't you remenber the old saying : "One swallow does not a summer make".

    Muppet!!!!!!!!!!!

    Marvin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvin !!!!!
    I am genuinely pleased to see you posting again – I feared I might have frightened you off…
    You are of course right that one swallow doesn’t make a summer (though in fairness, there have been 2 this week – from just 4 birds that have flown by) – but in the same regard, a poor few weeks doesn’t make a bad judge…
    I’m sure you can appreciate that – you don’t sound stupid to me.
    Short term results (and by short term, I mean a month at least) will always be open to the vagaries of luck.
    If you want to judge me, wait until Cheltenham is complete – and either cast your stones or sing you praises, then…
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning Anonymous/Marvin,

    Good to have you back. Seem the old place wasn't the same without you and Andrew welcomes all sorts of saints and sinners around here. I suppose the only reason I expected you to comment was because you actually did comment in the first place. Was that an unreasonable expectation I had of you?? Or was it unreasonable to expect you to be reasonable? Either way as long as Andrew stays as 'lucky' as he did this week, with two selections from four winning by a combined 16 lengths after halving in price at various points during the day, I think we will all be happy.

    The good thing about this co operative effort that prevails around here is that so far we have all shared in the spoils. 48 points profit over 12 weeks is good enough for me Marvin baby, how was it for you????

    Miss you

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvin, maybe you should stick to flat sprints as it doesn't look like you have the stamina or patience for the jumps. Me i'm off to see if I can hedge Somersby at less than half the advised price.

    ReplyDelete