Tuesday 20 December 2011

20th December - Selection rationale (part 2)

Stripe me Blue was a decent hurdler a couple of seasons ago…
On his seasonal debut in the 2009/2010 season, he finished third to Lie Forrit in a class 2 handicap hurdle at Newbury’s Hennesy meeting.
In his next race, he ran creditably behind Time for Rupert at Cheltenham.
It has been pretty much downhill since that point however – and last season was a total write off.
As a result, he starts this campaign on a very decent mark (106) and is also having his first run for a new trainer (Jonathon Geake).
Stripe me Blue has shown that he can run well when fresh – not just with his performance behind Lie Forrit – but also the previous season , when he finished fourth in the class 1 Gerry Fieldon hurdle, again at Newbury’s Hennesy meeting. Jonathon Geake is also quite capable of readying one to win after a long absence.
There can be little doubt that Stripe me Blue is very well handicapped if he does return to form (he has run consistently to a rating in the 120s in the past). So with ground and distance to suit, I think he is worth a small play to come good at the first time of asking, for his new stable.

0.5pt EW Strip me Blue 16/1

7 comments:

  1. Think you peaked with Fiendish Flame.
    Don't give up the day job!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peak was actually Satou – but I take your point !
    The question is whether you think the last couple of weeks have been a blip – or whether the month proceeding that was a blip…
    I know what I believe – and I’ve tried to support my view via other metrics.
    I don’t expect to convince everyone, but that is fine. After all, we will always need some mug punters, to help balance the books ;)
    TVB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous what do you want from a tipping service? 3 winners a day??? Because i can tell you now if you do forget about it as its not going to happen! The tips are spot on as is the logic for them, anyone who knows about horseracing/ betting will agree and clearly buddy that aint you ;) so i think its you who shouldnt give up the day job :)

    Keep up the good work andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont have to share your hard work with us for free,

    Just wanted to say I really appreciate and enjoy the blog

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the supportive comments guys.
    In fairness, everyone is entitled to an opinion and the last couple of weeks have been poor, results wise. That’s why I try and look at the results using different metrics. I’m not trying to manipulate things to say I’m doing great when I’m not, I’m just trying to check that I’m still picking the right horses, when the bottom line is maybe suggesting otherwise…
    There will inevitably be a huge amount of variance when you are tipping horses at double figure prices (as I tend to). That means it is often a bumpy journey – something that doesn’t suit everyone.
    I don’t want to get into preaching about effective betting; long term, value, edges etc. – there are plenty of books already written on the subject. I’m simply trying to post a decent profit on early price selections over a relatively short period of time.
    If I can achieve that, then I’ll be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andy, Very interesting and informative blog. Would you be interested in a blog share parforthecourse1.blogspot.com.

    I am on a short break from the blog at the moment as like you I have hit a poor run of form, but was and am still not doing anything different in my approach to analysis and selection criteria from when I was winning. Having been in this game for many years experience has shown that in the long term my approach delivers a profit year on year and that's what its all about not the return for a day or month.

    Regards,
    Kev

    ReplyDelete