Friday 30 December 2011

30th December - Race reviews

A couple more runners-up from today’s 3 selections, was really not what I needed – particularly when they were the 2 selections that I had put up win only !
Both briefly looked as if they might snap the current losing streak – trading at 1.5 and 2 respectively – but it was not to be.
In isolation, I would just shrug my shoulders and accept that these things happen – and that is the way I need to look at it. However, I have to admit that it’s getting progressively more difficult to look at all these races in isolation.
The two seconds today, meant that I have now managed to tip 8 runners-up from 40 selections in December.
That’s a 20% strike rate – which at the odds I tend to bet, is some going. Or at least it would be if it was a 20% winning strike rate !
Anyway, as I’ve said numerous times before, there is little I can do than keep plugging away and hope the luck turns…

Looking at today’s race in a little more detail:

Bishops Heir ran a really solid race and a couple of times up the straight, looked as if he might have the measure of eventual winner, Bocciani.
In fairness, Denis O’Regan gave the winner a very good ride, as he looked a quirky customer.
I think this is probably as good as Bishops Heir is, so he wouldn’t b an obvious tip next time out…

Captain Americo was probably just a little unlucky to come up against a well handicapped rival, who had managed to recapture his decent form from a couple of seasons back.
Bold Ransom was rated 132 18 months ago, so off a mark of 118 today, he had to go close if the old ability was still there.
Unfortunately for us, it was – and whilst Captain Americo plugged on bravely to take second, he was ultimately no match for the winner.
Provided his mark is not significantly altered (and I don’t think it will be) I would certainly be interested in Captain Americo next time out, provided conditions were similar to today…

Solitary Palm was undoubtedly the biggest disappointment of the day.
I did say that I wouldn’t be surprised if he finished behind Mr Chow and Hopeful Start, which he did – however, I didn’t expect him to finish behind 4 other rivals as well !
Furthermore, that finishing position flattered him as he was travelling at no point in the race and made a number of significant mistakes.
I really can’t imagine what the issue was. On form, he should have finished close to Mr Chow – accepting that one is improving fast. Even ignoring that form line, he should have certainty finished much closer than he did (or at very least, looked as if he might take a hand in proceedings).
In the circumstances, I couldn’t really consider tipping him again in the short term – unless a very good reason for today’s performance came to light…

8 comments:

  1. This has got to be the worst tipping service ever!! I think out of all your selections the winners can be counted on one hand. The fact that the few winners you did tip won at ridiculously high odds conceals the fact that almost everything you tip loses. Most of your race reviews are nothing more than winging excuses as to why the shite you selected ran accordingly. Do us a favour .. retire!!!

    And by the way .. this is not Marvin but another idiot who has lost a fortune following your garbage tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s difficult to know how to best respond, when are dealing with a self confessed idiot – Marvin or otherwise ! However, I’ll try to play it with a straight bat…
    If you look at the cold facts, I am providing a ‘service’ which has so far made 30points profit from 2 months – despite enduring an shocking run over the past 4 weeks.
    If this really were a service, I think it would still compare quite favourably with a few out there, which come with significantly more cost !
    However, it isn’t really a service is it... If you go back to the introductory post, you will see that it’s purpose is primarily education and entertainment – with the expectation of some profits on top.
    If you’ve lost a fortune on the tips, then you are a mug as well as an idiot. I clearly stated that this ‘service’ was for people who play with fivers and tenners – and they should be somewhere between £150 and £300 up at the moment ! If you arrived late and have been greedy, then you have got exactly what you deserved – and a valuable lesson to boot !
    With regard to the winging (or whinging, which is what I suspect you meant). I think there is only one of us doing that – and that isn’t me !
    The blog will be a far happier place if neither you or Marvin visit again, under your respective umbrellas of anonymity...
    Good bye !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly its clear to me that Anonymous knows little or nothing about horseracing.
    If its the worst service ever stop posting your pathetic crying DRIBBLE here on the blog! Nobody cares what you think!
    How low is the quality of your life that you keep watching the results of "the worst service ever" and then commenting on them.
    The picks are fine as is the logic we have just been on a bad run of luck but that will all change soon. We ended only -10 for the month which anyone who knows anything about racing (which clearly isnt you) will agree is nothing. Had Frontier Dancer won at 40/1 instead of placing second which in my opinion he was very unlucky not to do we would have been in slight profit for the month.
    This game swings in roundabouts and you just have to go with it, we have been so unlucky with some picks that its crazy but the luck will change soon.

    Keep them coming Andrew

    Ps Anyone see the 220 Warwick today Timmy riding Glens Boy? That was serious bad luck!
    I was unfortunate enough to have bet it but i can take it on the chin and not cry about it on other peoples blogs.... unlike some people ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TVB,
    You dont need me to defend you as you seem quite capable of doing that on your own,

    Just wanted to say I cant believe some people,you give your honest opinions which I know must take plenty of time and effort for free and then get idiots slaging you off

    Its easy ,If you are so useless why dont they stop reading and leave the blog to people that appreciate it and understand you are doing well

    If you had lost 10 points in November then produced the 40 point profit in December they would be saying how wonderful you are but the result is the same ,30 points profit in two months which is excellent

    You only have to read your write ups to know you are on the right track

    I hope the Marv`s dont put you off posting and I wish you a successful New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tvb just like to say that i have found your analysis interesting and informative and wish you the best of luck for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers guys – I appreciate the support.
    I know there are plenty of people out there – not just you 2 – who are right behind me with this and take the advice/tips in the spirit intended.
    I don’t have a lot of spare time and I am doing my best to produce both decent tips – and a decent blog.
    Maybe the tips in December haven’t been as good – it’s always difficult to say over a short period. However, I’ve got details of them all in a spread sheet and I will spend some time over the next few days going through them and trying to figure out if things have gone a little off the rails.
    At the end of the day, I’ve got a financial interest in them all, so it pains me as much as anyone when they don’t perform.
    The biggest issue with the negative comments, is that they take effort to respond to – and I can do without wasting time and energy on them. I’d have far less of an issue if people took time to explain why they thought the tips were poor – or even if they were simply prepared to identify themselves when commenting (accepting that draquay & villa viper could be anyone – but you get my drift !). However, if you are just going to spout anonymous abuse, then you deserve everything you get imo…
    Anyway, hopefully results will fall back in line in January. I can certainly promise you that I’ll be doing everything I can to make that the case.
    TVB.

    PS – I did see Glens Boy and the first thing that went through my mind was thank f**k I didn’t tip that one !! Very unlucky !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Derek. If I can add 'profitable' to that in January, I'll be a happy man !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New year all and heres to a profitable one :)

    Ciaran

    ReplyDelete