Tuesday 27 December 2011

27th December - Race reviews

Around about lunchtime today, I was feeling very content with things…
I had watched as Plein Pouvoir was backed down from a suggested 12/1 into 6/1 second favourite. I wasn’t overly surprised by the weight of money behind him, as I felt he had pretty much everything in his favour today and he looked sure to run a big race…
I was far more surprised by the plunge that took place on the other selection, Stow. Recommended at 10/1, he was backed down to an almost unbelievable 3/1 !
I had combined the two horses in a double with Ladbrokes last night. The odds of the combined bet was 121/1 when I placed it – and it was down to 28/1 at around 12:45 !
Ofcourse, as we know by now, weight of money doesn’t always mean success – and unfortunately it didn’t today…

Stow ran no sort of race whatsoever – which must have been particularly galling for all those involved in the monster plunge. He was under pressure at the back of the field after 3 hurdles and tailed off at half way.
He did consent to eventually run on and finish fifth – but he never remotely threatened to win.
The display seemed a little out of character – but you couldn’t consider supporting him again, based on this effort….

Plein Pouvoir ran a much better race and it did look for a good part of it, as if he was going to break this irritating streak of loses.
In fact, he was trading at under 2/1 at around half way, so well was he travelling.
However, the favourite, Quincy Des Pictons, came and served it up to him rounding the home turn and Plein Pouvoir was soon a beaten horse.
Ultimately, I think he was just taking on horses of a class higher than he is capable of living with.
A couple more pounds off his back and hopefully he’ll be out in a lower class of race next time. I’ve certainly not lost faith in him in the right conditions.

Finally, Le Beau Bai ran out a very game winner of the Welsh National.
I tipped him when he ran no sort of a race in the Southern National, early in November. So it was a little frustrating to see him win this much more competitive race, off exactly the same mark.
That said, I did think he would run well – but it was difficult to justify a tip at 10/1 in such a tough race.
Hey Big Spender fell around half way, which may ultimately turn out to be a blessing in disguise (assuming he wasn’t injured in any way).
He is a class horse and today’s test would not have been suitable for him…


So another disappointing day, made even more so by the initial promise.
I did receive an anonymous comment on the blog, not long after the Plein Pouvoir race.
I actually toyed with not publishing it – as it doesn’t really add a lot to things (!), but I promised I would publish all non-offensive comments.
I assume it was posted by the same person who suggested last week that I shouldn’t give up the day job (I’ve nicknamed him Marvin, as he chooses to preserve his anonymity).
At times like this, I actually think it helps if you can have a bit of a laugh (even if through gritted teeth) and I get the feeling that ‘Marvin’ could provide some humour with his perceptive comments, whenever a selection gets beaten.
I certainly hope so, my minimum requirement for this blog is that it is entertaining, and I think Marvin has taken a step forward to help in that area.
There is a tip tomorrow – and hopefully it will oblige – but if not, I’m optimistic that we can at least look forward to an insightful comment from Marvellous Marvin.
Don’t let us down Marv ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there from the Playing it safe blog....

    Ignore the doubters mate I have seen it all over the past 3 years they seem to revel in it when you are on a losing run. As we both know they soon seem to run back to their holes when times are good ! I have a recent ' Marvin ' but I used slightly different words for him lol !

    The work you are putting in to this blog is second to none and I am fully hooked following your journey. iT has been a long time since the days of JP and Dirk Diggler that I have enjoyed a blog so much. I am sure many learn a lot from your write ups.

    I have often been tempted to have a go on my own but time, work and family simply does not allow me.


    Keep up the great work and have a fantastic profitable new year !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is best to treat the Marvins of this world as a source of amusement…
    Why anyone would bother following a blog simply to put up comments that a 10 year old could better, is beyond me (apologies if you are 10 Marvin ;) )
    I’m not going to spend any more time defending selections: I’m not forcing anyone to follow them.
    I know I’ve got an edge and I think I’ve illustrated this quite clearly through the blog. I also know that luck tends to smile on me relatively infrequently – but I’ve just learnt accept this and deal with it…
    Like I said at the very beginning, the purpose of this blog is to be educational, entertaining and profitable. I have significant control over the first 2 elements, but you will always need a element for luck for the third (I’m choosing to ignore here, the fact that I’m currently over 30 points up in the first 2 months !!).
    Anyway, thanks for the comment – and I agree JPs blog and Dirk Digglers blog were both excellent reads !!
    TVB

    ReplyDelete