Thursday 22 December 2011

22nd December - Race review

There may only have been one tip last night, but this afternoon was always going to be about 2 horses: the tip, Opera Og and the ‘nearly tip’, Mallusk.
My fear was that Opera Og would run poorly, whilst Mallusk would hack up ! Well, I need not have worried – they both ran poorly – LOL !

In truth, I found the poor run of Opera Og easier to forgive. He simply didn’t jump well enough – which whilst not overly surprising for a horse jumping a fence under rules for the first time, is a little more surprising when the horse has also won it’s only P2P in Ireland. He clattered into a few of the early fences, before making a shuddering mistake at the sixth – almost dislodging Sam Thomas – and that, as they say, was that..!
He was pulled up before the home turn and will certainly need to improve his jumping technique if he is going to make any sort of a mark over fences.

The late defection of Sherwani Wolf seemed to leave the path clear for Mallusk to make a wining seasonal debut. I considered Sherwani Wolf the most likely winner of the race – so I was pleased when he was declared a non runner (even if it did mean a 25% R4 !).
However, Mallusk ran no sort of race and was pulled up before 3 out.
There was no obvious problem – and he didn’t run as if he particularly needed the race. The suggestion was simply that he wasn’t good enough at the weights.
I certainly won’t be rushing to back him next time…

There is now no domestic racing until Boxing day. That’s 3 full days that I’m going to have to manage without my ‘fix’ – including a Saturday !
So it’s cold turkey for 2 days – and then hot turkey for 1 – BOOM, BOOM !
I’m sure I’ll be able find something to fill my time with – maybe I’ll pop out and buy a few presents or something similar !
Whatever, I’ll be back here – either on Christmas day evening – or Boxing day morning – with some selections that will hopefully get the TVB early Bird show back on the road…
So all that remains is for me to wish you all a very Merry Christmas – and fingers crossed that Boxing day (or St. Stephens day, if you are from that side of the sea ;) ) is even better !!
TVB.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew

    I just wanted to take the time to congratulate you on the excellent start you have made with your blog, your success is never in doubt for me.

    I look forward to your posts every day, not just because it is profitable to do so,but because I always learn from what your have to say.

    All that remains for me to say is to wish you a very Happy Christmas and a great new year.

    P.S Come on Master Minded in the King George (10/1 taken antepost thanks to you)

    Best Regards
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Mark.
    I was a little surprised to read the other day, that Tom Segal doesn’t think Master Minded has a chance on Monday…
    As you know, I’m a huge fan of Tom’s – but I think that he and I are going to have to disagree on this one…
    Form-wise, I think it is possible to argue that Master Minded ran to a higher level winning at Aintree last spring, than Long Run did when he won the Gold cup.
    The 3m trip is an unknown – but Paul Nicholls has always been confident he would stay it - and recent evidence seems to be supporting him.
    The ground should be almost perfect – and it really wouldn’t surprise me if Master Minded proved up to the task.
    Of course, Kato is a potential stumbling block – as is Captain Chris.
    However in terms of risk/reward (ie. value !) I’m quite happy to be sat on a 10/1 voucher for Master Minded…
    I’m sure it will be a race to savour, whatever…!

    ReplyDelete