Sunday 13 November 2011

13th November - Race review

I seem to be running through a gamut of emotions at the moment: disappointment with Backfromthecongo on Thursday was replaced by irritation with myself yesterday and frustration with Olofi today…!


Horse: Olofi
Price Advised: 25/1
ISP: 8/1
BSP: 8.84
Position: 2nd

In fairness, it wasn’t really the horse’s fault, he travelled like a dream through the entire race, but as I said in my post yesterday, when there are 23 runners in opposition you need luck – and he didn’t really get it.
In truth, it is debatable whether he would have beaten Brampour, but that one did get a perfect run on the home straight, whereas Olofi was taken wide and messed about on the run to the final hurdle.
He finished with tremendous gusto, once balanced after the last – but Brampour had already flown.
Today was the day for Olofi – there can be no doubt about that. He was backed in from 25/1 (which was still available this morning) to 8/1 third favourite. In a race as competitive as the Greatwood, that is an almost unbelievable market move (especially as Pricewise didn’t put him up !).
Still, the EW insurance did it’s job I guess – and as a result, a small profit was returned on the race. Though I can’t help feeling it could have been so much better…


Horse: Le Beau Bai
Price Advised: 16/1
ISP: 12/1
BSP: 17.76
Position: Unplaced

Over at Fontwell, Le Beau Bai ran a lifeless race. He didn’t move out of the last 2 or 3 and was eventually pulled up.
It’s impossible to know whether something was ailing him or if he just didn’t fancy it today. Either way, I would take some persuading to follow him next time…

So the Open meeting comes to an end. It was a tremendous 3 days with some great performances – and no end of eye catchers for the future.
I made a few notes at the time but I will watch every race again carefully, over the next few days. One things for sure, the meeting will be a goldmine for the next forthcoming months – and I’ll be doing all I can to dig out as many nuggets as possible…!

No comments:

Post a Comment